Tuesday, March 06, 2007

La Paz

This is my first trip back to Bolivia since 1999. The airport is exactly as I remembered it; I even remembered exactly where Jason stood with the Thermos of mate de coca and a sweater, waiting for me to exit the arrivals door. Weird.

The city is not as nice as Quito, and much bigger. Everything seems a little dingy and sad. Maybe it is just the weater?

My first night (to which I arrived after a typically frustrating and uncomfortable flying experience) was horrible. Please do not ever stay in the Aparthotel Sopocachi. What a dump. No drinking water (which is a big problem when you arrive here at the high altitude), no coffee, no breakfast, horrid bathroom, uncomfortable bed, you name it. It was the first time in my life, after probably nearly a thousand different hotels, that a hotel actually made me cry myself to sleep. I'm SO not kidding.

So don't stay there, ok?

Today, I changed to the cheaper and MUCH nicer Hotel Castellon. Great, simple, comfortable rooms and clean, nice bathroom. Free Internet in the lobby, breakfast included, tea free all day, good service, fridge with beer and coke! You can find it in Miraflores, Avenida Argentina 2145 at the Parque Triangular. Email them at hotelcastellon@latinmail.com, or call at 591-2-2244145.

Tomorrow, after a slew of meetings, we are headed to Santa Cruz! More when I get back.

No comments: